Thursday, June 12, 2008

Are you serious?

So this morning I took the kids on a bike ride and I received a phone call from my dad informing me that my grandparents house just burned to the ground in the middle of the night. My pregnant sister and her husband were staying the night and my grandma was at work. Needless to say, they are VERY lucky to be alive because they had taken the smoke alarm down when they were doing some stuff and NEVER put it back up! Fortunetly, my gma's dog woke my grandpa up just in time to get everyone out safely before the whole house went up in flames. I am very greatful that no one got hurt but I am sad that it had to happen to my grandparents because they really can't take a toll like this.
They have helped me throughout my life and when I got off the phone the spirit told me that I needed to help them as much as I could. So I called my Relief Society President to get some ideas from her because my problem is that they live 5 hours south and if I got donations of things for them, how would I get them the stuff and then I remembered there is a ward about 25 minutes from their house. How wonderful would it be to have members give such great service to my grandparents. I have constantly struggled with my grandparents accepting my faith and I feel that this tender time would be a great time to show them how loving and generous Latter-day Saints are. I also got some information from the dad of the kids I watch. He does disaster relief around the country and he gave me some contacts that could help with things like temp. housing and such. The thing that stinks if they had a second house about 30 minutes north of them but they sold it about 4 months ago.
If anyone has an ideas on how I could help them from up here or have an donations I could send to them, I would be greatful.

1 comment:

Sarah said...

Oh, geez, hun- I'm so sorry to hear that happend to your family! I hope everything is ok! Wow! They're lucky they all got out in time.