Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Florida Vacation Day 2 - Snorkeling in the Keys










Day 2 was by far the best day on our vacation. We woke up at 5am to drive down to Key Largo to rent a boat to go out and snorkel @ John PenneKamp State Park, the only under water state park! The cool thing about it is there are sunken ships, a ton of coral to explore and a 30 ton statue of Christ under water. We were so far out, the only thing you could see was water, no land in sight! We got to our first diving point and everyone jumped off and away they went...leaving me on the boat all by my lonesome. I HATE the idea of being in shark infested waters, there was no way I was jumping off the boat in the middle of the Atlantic. Well....I said what the heck you only live once, suited up, hyperventalated a bit and then in I went. Not to bad I thought. Dennis came and grabbed my hand and we swam out to see some coral. We saw some giant fish out there swimming. Before I knew it we were over 100 feet from the boat and after about 20 minutes I told Dennis I was ready to go back to the boat. Halfway back, my goggles fogged up so I tried to clean them off only to splash a good amount of salt water in the eyes. They fogged up again and BAM...I swam right into a bunch of loose seaweed and screamed!! I freaked out..Dennis flipped me over on my back and took me back to the boat. I was proud of myself for putting this fear behind me and going for it. I am glad I did.

After 4 hours on the boat and 1.5 hour ride home, Dennis, my cousin Kody and I went to POC, an all you can eat sushi buffet and grill. Let me tell you, it was awesome! I had hibatchi and a ton of shrimp. Dennis was in heaven! I have never seen so much crab leg or sushi before in my life! Day 2 was definately the best day of our vacation.

No comments: