Saturday, March 3, 2007

To teach is to touch a life forever.....

I am closing in on what maybe the biggest day of my life yet. Next Saturday, I will be attending a Career Fest for the area districts and I am frantically trying to figure out how to 'tweek my resume and get enough copies printed! I also have to work on what exactly I am going to say to the question: "Why do you want to teach?" Why do I want to teach? Most people would say "because I get summers, weekends, and holidays off!" But that doesn't do it for me, by the way, teachers DO NOT get summers off and they work during the weekend! I want to teach because I want to make a difference in our future- a contribution to society I guess. When I did my internship- I loved seeing the students' faces light up ever time they figured out a problem during a lesson. I loved coming in everday to those 20 smiling faces and knowing that I was going to have the greatest impact on their lifes.

Only a Teacher

I am a teacher! What I do and say is being absorbed by young minds who will echo these images across the ages. My lessons will be immortal, affecting people yet unborn, people I will never see or know. The future of the world is in my classroom today and this future has potential for good or bad. The pliable minds of tomorrow's leaders will be molded either artistically or grotesquely by what I do.
Several future presidents are learning from me today; so are the great writers of the next decades and so are all the so- called ordinary people who will make the decisions in a democracy. I must never forget these same young people could be murderers of the future.
Just a teacher? I have a calling to the greatest profession of all! I must be vigilant every day lest I lost one fragile opportunity to improve tomorrow. ~Ivan Fitzwater

No comments: