Sunday, October 5, 2008

RAINBOWS


Yesturday, I was given the opportunity to attend a Rainbows training in Romeoville. I volunteered to be a part of the group at our school. The group helps children dealing with the grief from a loss of a parent, divorce, parental addiction or other situtations that cause children to hold their feelings inside. We learned how to be active listeners rather than wanting to offer a way to fix it. We did a lot of situational group work and some people talked about some issues they never dealt with from their childhood as we were working through the last activity as adults rather than role playing as children. It was a very empowering day. I left feeling like I could save the world.


Before we left we were given a Rainbows pin to wear on our lanyard as well as a commitment to compassion. This is what it reads


Today, I welcome children, adolescents and adults who are grieving into my heart.

I commit to support them through their journey from hurt to healing.

I promise to listen with my heart without making judgements.

I will refrain from giving advice or platitudes, for there are no answers to loss.

I wish to instill in them the seeds of healing and acceptance for these gifts bring hope to the bereaved.

I want to be a guide to the discovery of how truly special and lovable each person is.

I will wipe away the tears of those who mourn so that they may be able to see the bright

RAINBOW

after their family's storm.

No comments: