Monday, May 28, 2007

Memorial Day Weekend


We headed out at 6p.m to my grandparents house in Norris City, IL. We arrived alittle before 12a.m. I decided to be a nice wife and start off the trip while Dennis took a nappy nap. I ended up driving until 10. This is un heard of with me, I can't drive in the dark to save my life but I guess the coutesy car we had gave me the power to do so! You see, my ABS sensor went out in the civic so it has been hanging out at Honda for the last week while I have been driving a 2007 Accord- in which Dennis and I LOVE and will be buying once we get our house. Anyway back to the weekend.....
Saturday we had a nice BBQ in honor of Tonya's graduation. We played some catch in the backyard and picked veggies from grandpa's gigantic garden. We made our trip to walmart- a must when you come down to visit (it's the only chain store for hours!) We got some flowers to take to great grandma Ester's grave on Sunday and some gigantic 72oz waterbottles!



Sunday we spent with my family in ElDorado. We went out to lunch with my sister and her boyfriend and then headed to payless for some new flip flops- thanks mom! We then went to visit g'ma Meme at work and headed back to spend some time with the family before we headed home. Oh yeah, Dennis picked up a HUGE painted turtle on the way to my parents. He put it in on the back floor of the Accord and headed off. We did return it to his home at the end of the day.


After saying our good byes- we headed to Fairfield to grandma Ester's grave site.
I took some pretty flowers with me. I have been telling myself for 2 years now that when I go down I am going to make the 45 minute drive north to visit her gravesite, since I hadn't been there since her funeral in 2005. It was a very emotional time for me. She passed away unexpectedly from pneomonia in Jan 2005- in the midst of me living my life the way I didn't want to- in utter confusion. I didn't get to say goodbye to her- that was the hard part. This was the first time in my life that someone so close to me had passed and I didn't get to say goodbye.
Dennis encouraged me to spend a few moments alone talking with her- so I heeded the council of my husband and knelt down to chat with her. Lesson of the day- bring tissues with next time. As the tears poured out of my eyes- I felt at peace that she knew that I was living my life the way I was supposed to and forgave me for not being such a great grand daughter at the time.
As the tears dried up we headed home and arrived in St. Charles by 9:30. WOW, what a weekend. I was glad we got to make the trip.

No comments: